Guide to weapons

General talk/info about our server.

Guide to weapons

Postby Alexei » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:11 pm

One of the tricks I have had up my sleeve is my exceptional knowledge of weapons and how to use them most effectively.

However, being alone on top is pretty boring... so I've decided to try and transfer some of my knowledge about the various weapons, but also usage tactics. I'll likely not finish this post in one day, but I'll be sure to let people know when I update it.

If you want to add something to this (questions? want to do a writeup for a weapon or two and share your personal tricks?), please feel free! The more of your tricks I know, the easier you will go down :twisted: (I kid, i kid, but it will benefit the discussion!)

Major Mods:

Qjets - Quantum Fighter Jets have been a staple of wharthog's pigpen since the very early days. The first flying clan (=AD=) was a Qjets clan. The originals were pretty buggy and you could get godmode with them. Nowadays, they are in version 2, much smoother, and tons of fun.

Primary/Secondary fire launches the jet. From there:

Primary launches rockets. If you are on target, they will home. Unfortunately they take a nosedive shortly thereafter, so you have to be in fairly close range for them to actually knock down another Qjet (otherwise they'll just circle around it and dissipate into thin air). Most people do not realize this. Getting the proper distance in between you and your target is the trick to successful airfights in Qjets. You want to be just far enough that the rockets dive on your target's head and explode over it. Being able to do this makes you a lethal threat in maps such as SpaceBase2050 able to lock down an entire base in a Qjet. Also, since the rockets home onto targets, they are especially good at taking down SLVs and RocketXs. It's a lot of fun pestering people tyring to fly past you using a Qjet!

Secondary fire fires redeemers. Useful if you want to buy some time and prevent someone from scoring in an outdoor map. Also, after you run out of redeemers you have the option to "arm" your Qjet. This is typically the first thing I do when I fly a Qjet (spam the two redeemers into the first two random blotches of ceiling, and arm the jet). The logic is simple: as seen in the paragraph above, rockets from other Qjets are a threat to you only at approximately the ideal distance. That distance is not enough to get out of the way of the redeemer blast from your Qjet in another Qjet, so if you die, there's an ~80% chance that you will kill the person who shot you down. Useful if you are carrying a flag (the other person can't return it if they're dead!), and for the 4 extra points you get from Revenge.

SLV - Your basic ride-able nuclear missile. Complete with realistic nuclear missile physics!

Primary fires the SLV, a slow moving nuclear missile (please note that unlike a redeemer, the killzone of an SLV is instantaneous, and not a slowly spreading sphere).

Secondary gets you on top of the slv. From there:

Forward/Backward - adjust thrust, changes maximum speed (and increases acceleration slightly) between 12 and 19.

Primary - Afterburner, greatly increases thrust, increasing acceleration and top speed by a lot.

Secondary / Jump - Jump off of the SLV. The missile will continue on its course.

Next Weapon / Prev. Weapon (typically mouse wheel up/down) - change warhead status between armed (any damage to the missile causes it to explode), disarmed (missile will never explode. WIll still do damage in the case of a direct hit) and auto (missile automatically arms itself when you jump off of it. Disarmed until then). I typically keep mine at disarmed in case I crash into something or someone shoots at me or something. Don't want the nuke to accidentally blow up under me. Picking up weapons while on the slv, as well as jumping off an SLV and getting onto another one causes the status to rotate, so be careful!

Crouch - move around slv, allowing you to fire other weapons. Useful when you're flying down stupid death rocket 2b and gunning down defenders rambo style with a ghadi sniper rifle :D (always been one of my tricks to that map...)

I pretty much suck at slv (have just the basics down lol... matt puts me to shame :? ). However, my (albeit small) bag of tricks for the SLV consists of crouching and taking down defenders/people who are on my tail, "pumping" afterburner to fly long distance faster (dont constantly have afterburner on, use it in short bursts when your speed goes below 25 to get your speed back up, to go faster and save fuel), and always flying in disarmed mode. Precision flying takes practice... which is why I suck at it lol.

RocketX 3F - The redheaded stepchild. Always in "auto" warhead mode. SLV based, but with the SLV slide almost non-exitant without total commitment, and with on-board weapons. Take one part SLV, one part Qjet, one part mortar gun and castrate it... and what do you have?

Primary fire - fires stinger. Kind of a stronger rocket. Homes onto other RX3Fs. Does not home onto humans, or people on SLVs, or people on RX3Es, or people in Qjets. Blast radius is a little bigger than that of an exploding bullet, but seems (mercifully) a bit smaller than that of the SLV. Useful against people on foot when you dont have anything better. The stingers can be shot down with a carefully placed shot. Minigun seems to work best (b/c of the high firing rate). Splash damage also works well (i.e. rocket from rocket launcher, shock combo, possibly wave flak [not sure...], etc.). Automatically homes onto other RX3Fs, at an insane range. Very useful if someone is using one to steal your flag!

Secondary fire - gets on RX From there:

Mouse wheel - rotate weapons. Choices are cannons (your basic low damage RX projectile cannons... useful for taking down oponents on SLVs and Qjets), stinger missles (2x stingers, just like those from an unlaunched RX... slow reload time), and Nuclear bombs (use your imagination... also slow reload time).

Primary Fire - fire weapons

Secondary fire - Afterburners. Same as with SLV. One difference is that if you have 199 health and 150 shield (or more), you are in what is known as "total commitment mode". On an SLV this just means you waste less fuel. On an RX, your top speed with afterburners goes up to a whopping 48 (from 33). However, be aware that an RX eats one fuel core a second with afterburners, so don't expect to be going on any joy rides on this server... Just for a quick comparison, Qjet top speed is about 23-25 (estimate, not exact); SLV top speed (with afterburner) is 30; RX top speed is 33 without TC, and 48 with TC. Also note that you can outrun stinger missiles with Total Commitment, making you that much harder to take down.

Ghadi (Ghandi?) Weapons

Freakazoid Translocator - Really cool weapon that I've never seen used except when me and stern were shuttling people in and out of the secret room in hall of giants - weapons test. What it does it it allows you to teleport someone else. Set your freakazoid translocator with primary, and shoot someone else with secondary fire. No, you don't get frags if you shoot them off of a building and they fall to death or something. BUT, the cool thing about this is that you can teleport people without them losing the flag! Instant caps!

Ghadinator - Jack of all trades. Master of none, but damn painful nonetheless.

Secondary - switch weapon mode

There are really only two good weapon modes - seeking rockets and nuker. Seeking rockets rock against everything, especially moving targets (!). Nuker is, well, a nuker. 'nuff said.

Creepinator - Who wants to blow everything up in a 20 yard radius around them today?

Primary fire - Relases ~12 or so (forget exact number) rockets that fly in circles and make the weapon have absolutely ridiculous impact path. To add even more deadliness, even if you escape the initial "radius of death" as I call it... ~5 of the rockets are auto-seeking (the "seeking rockets" from the ghadinator kind...). Guess where they're headed? Yup. For your face. I've dodged off of the flag area in SDR2b, fallen on the floor, dodged forward, and then one of the creepinator rockets that was fired way back at the top catches up to me. Not fun!

For extra fun, hold your crosshair on your enemy until it turns to the "seeking" red circle. Release swarm of 12 "hungry piranhas". Watch them feast.

The trick to not killing yourself is to walk backwards as you fire the rockets. If you stand still, you will take damage. If you walk forward, you will die. If you walk backward, you'll be fine. This is significant, because a long time ago, I asked Rat "why do you cripple exploding bullets, ghadinators (seeking rockets + nukers), titan guns, but not creepinators)?" His answer was "because I end up killing myself half the time with those anyway". ( ! )

Secondary fire makes an immovable barrier. Only place it's been useful for me is in the "take their flak" series of maps. You can block an entire path off with one of the barriers, covering your ass from sniper fire (exploding bullets don't pass through the barriers, and don't explode on them) and rockets as you retreat to your flag area with the enemy's flag.

Titan Gun - Flamethrower^2

Primary - releases a line of ~9 rockets. I dont usually use this since a horizontal line is pretty useless to me..

Secondary - flame thrower. Absolutely deastating. Curves around walls, so aim for a corner or back wall of a narrow hallway and watch everything get decimated inside. Even if it doesnt kill, the shots are so huge that they hide you from snipers with exploding bullets and the such.

BUT

Couterable with asbestos suits. Anyone wearing one will take no damage. The other day me and xero were playing smart trine jets, and we squared off in his base. He had a titan gun. I was standing still. He kept on spraying me with secondary fire, and I was just standing there taking no damage. He was like "wtf?" and I was like "lolol". Asbestos suit! Useful! On a note about asbestos suits - ALWAYS make sure that the suit is the last bit of armor you get. If you get shield belt then asbestos suit, you're good. If you get asbestos suit then shield belt, you have just a shield belt (it wiped the asbestos suit out). So be careful! Better be safe than sorry.

Ghadi Sniper Rifle - Rewards you for missing!

Primary - fires exploding bullet. Aim for walls, not people. The bullet explodes and does a LOT more damage than a dozen headshots combined. So much damage, that I will often choose exploding bullets over esr and destroyer to take down a qjet (just remember - hit the closest wall).

These are so powerful that they destroy anything in their vicinity. A lot of time you will see me jump off into the air once I get a peek at an enemy in SDR2b, or fall to the ground, shooting the walls where I think the enemy might be. 4-5 shots and eventually I get my target, despite having had visual contact with him/her for only a split second (before hiding from him/her by jumping). Practice with these will make you absolutely lethal!

Secondary - Zoom. A flag camper's paradise. Keep your flag on its pole from a safe hiding spot halfway across the map!

Destroyer - Instant nuclear gratification.

Primary - Instant redeemer ray. Use much like a normal redeemer. Remember - this is just an instant redeemer. Useful in shooting down SLVs in maps like SDR2b. Remember to aim a bit ahead, because a redeemer needs some room to expand, otherwise by the time it gets big enough to do some damage, your target will be way ahead of it already.

Secondary - a regular redeemer missile. Seriously, why would you ever use this if when you have instant redeemery gratification at your fingertips?

Avenger - Yummy infinite nukes!

There are two types of these.

Primary fire for both - fires nuclear missile (redeemer). Yay! :D

Secondary type one - sets "remote destination location" at the location of the last missile fired (missile has to be mid-air for this to work properly). Press secondary again to have a redeemer fire from the same location. I will often use this to "booby trap" flags in maps that don't have exploding bullets. If ammo is 4 or less, refills ammo to 30 (and uses a shot, so u have 29 ammo). However, if you use secondary when you have 5 or more ammo, it locks you out from refilling the avenger ever again (you have to throw it out and pick up a new one for ammo refills to work correctly again).

Secondary fire type two - Available in a small number of maps (i.e. mattelfighterjets, smart trine jets, 1HS-Eagles has a stern avenger that works exactly the same way). sets "remote destination location" at location of last fired missile, assuming it is still mid-air. Also teleports you to that location. Will teleport with flag (with a bit of practice... instant caps :D). If ammo is 4 or less, refills ammo to 30 (and uses a shot, so u have 29 ammo). However, if you use secondary when you have 5 or more ammo, it locks you out from refilling the avenger ever again (you have to throw it out and pick up a new one for ammo refills to work correctly again). One of my great smart trine jets strategies is to fire a missile back to above my base, run, grab the flag, as soon as I have the flag, warp to where the missile is (usually dead above my flag) while all the bots/players spam creepinator fire and wonder how I just capped the flag in under half a second. Then I fire off 25 nukes into the sky (so that I wont be locked out of ammo refills). And repeat :D
If a man is not a communist at 20, he has no heart, but if he is still a communist at 40, he has no head.
Alexei
Truly Dedicated Member

Re: Guide to weapons

Postby Alexei » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:52 pm

Updated :D
If a man is not a communist at 20, he has no heart, but if he is still a communist at 40, he has no head.
Alexei
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby THE_Chris » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:38 am

Redeemer Fireworks - The greatest invention in UT99. Only available on Barnburner and possibly one other map (with Regular only, selecting RX/SLV/RX&SLV) will cause this baby to be replaced by an SLV!

Primary - Fires a flying cart that emits round balls that bounce about and blow up as redeemers. You WILL die many times while using this, but who cares. As it travels further it speeds up, but still aim it above the enemy base in such a way that the flying cart will travel the furthest distance, therefore releasing the most round ball redeemers.

Secondary - Fires the flying cart like a normal redeemer that blows up as a normal redeemer. Useless compared to the primary mode.

Useful SLV/RX tips.

Two weapons to use with the slv and RX. Pressing crouch on the SLV puts you into aiming mode. Fly the SLV high up, go slowly, press crouch and you are now a mobile weapons platform that is difficult to hit.

Get to the other side of the map from the enemy, do this, and go nuts with a Ghadi Sniper or a Devastator. These are useful on ArcticFighterJets and StupidRocketChurch maps respectively. When you've got an RX on your tail and can knock it out with a Devastator and royally annoy the opposition.

This can be done on the SLV and RX, but is better on the SLV as no rocket homes in on the SLV, unlike the RX whos primary fire homes in on another RX.

The Ghadi sniper and this trick is lethal, as you can be miles from the enemy base in a totally unpredictable position that noone usually camps from and kick some ass. Just make sure you dont crash into the wall when aiming!

When using the Ghadi Sniper on an SLV, make sure you zoom out before pressing crouch again, its a bug in the SLV code that keeps you zoomed in if you press crouch to get back into fly mode before zooming out. You'd think its exploitable but no its just annoying!

I might write more too, some good stuff I learnt back in the day.
THE_Chris
WhartHog Professional

Postby Pustelio » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:17 am

How can switch easy between normal and ghadi weapons?
Pustelio
New to the PigPen

Postby Alexei » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm

i use the scroll wheel :P
Alexei
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby Pokester » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Alexei wrote:i use the scroll wheel :P

Well I switch using the number keys :D
«Zu HEADSHOT! sagt keiner nein.»
I dunno what any of this means except for HEADSHOT! lol
Pokester
New to the PigPen

Postby Moxley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:51 pm

you do know these conversations ended months ago - in a couple of cases years ago?
Moxley
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby DEMETRIOS » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 am

Very good, congratulations, but I see you playing again, or use another name?
DEMETRIOS
WhartHog Professional

Postby Alexei » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:18 pm

I alias, but I'm not hard to recognize by my style of play. I'll say hi next time I see you on the server.
Alexei
Truly Dedicated Member

Postby DEMETRIOS » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Alexei wrote:I alias, but I'm not hard to recognize by my style of play. I'll say hi next time I see you on the server.

ok :D
DEMETRIOS
WhartHog Professional

Return to WhartHog's PigPen Server